TXF S11 Chat Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TXF S11 Chat Thread

Post by Cassie on Wed 17 May 2017 - 21:29

When I first heard that TXF is coming back for an eleventh "season" my first thought was "oh shit! why?", my second thought was "I hope Robert Patrick is filming Scorpion so he can't be talked into doing Doggett again", and my third thought was "I hope FOX forces Carter to end the damn thing, no more effing cliffhangers!"

Note: I have a hard time calling the 2016 "revival" a "season" because six episodes does not make a season, and nothing official for TXF calls the 2016 "revival" a "season." It's labeled as the "event series." So this new thing coming to us in 2018 (2018, right?) isn't an eleventh season to me, it's just another "series event," even though with ten episodes, one could argue that is enough episodes to be called a true television "season."

Anyway, I am not a fan of the 2016 "revival." I had the same first thoughts for that one as I did for the one that was announced this past April. Of the six episodes, I mostly enjoy only three episodes. I tolerate the end cap episodes (My Struggle 1 and 2), and I refuse to ever watch the mushroom episode ever again (total piece of shit, IMO). The best episode was "Mulder and Scully Meet The Were-Monster," followed by "Home Again," and "Founder's Mutation."

I have very low expectations for quality with whatever Carter thinks is a good thing to do with his series. I know he created TXF and Mulder, and Scully, and other favorite characters, but he's also the guy who ruined his series. If Season 9 wasn't bad enough, he got a chance to do a second movie and failed that too. Honestly, who wanted to see a MOTW-style episode on the big screen in which a pedophile was the hero (validated by Mulder, who also viewed the pedophile as the hero)?! I seriously thought IWTB was the final nail in the XF coffin. And it should have been. With that 2016 "revival" Carter erased nine seasons and one (better) movie of his series' mythology. I mean... WTF?! Scully wasn't the Scully I loved from the original series, the mythology was fucked (and my favorite aspect of TXF series is its bloody mythology!). I was just relieved that David could still "find" Mulder, and become Mulder. Mulder was my first love of TXF, if David couldn't pull him off anymore, TXF would be dead (I mean it already is, but you know... David as Mulder, he botches that up and it'd be worse).

I hope with this next TXF event series that FOX forces it to be the last "chapter" of TXF. That after it is all over with that there will never be more event series, or movies - that this is it, the end. I like TXF series as a whole, but as a fan, I'm tired of seeing Carter beat a dead horse. I get that so many fans obsess over this "gillovny" thing, and that if DD and GA are playing Mulder and Scully, they get to see them work together, and therefore that's "proof" of "gillovny" (anyone remember back in the day that DD/GA 'shippers were called "snoggers"?). I really think that obsessive "gillovny" folks and MSR fans are the only XF fans who are actually really excited about more new XF episodes. I'm not a snogger, nor am I a Mulder/Scully 'shipper, and there's very little I enjoy now in watching Mulder and Scully work together.

Of the two, I would rather watch Mulder, and they can just leave Scully out of it (but I know that would never happen because too many MSR fans would be upset about it).

I hope that with this next thing that Carter does NOT write a single episode, nor direct a single episode. His MOTW episodes are crap (with very, very few exception(s?)), and I only watch his mythology episodes because the mytharc was the only part of the series that attempted continuity, and I'm a sucker for continuity (and a good alien/government conspiracy).

I also hope that Reyes is not in it. She's my least favorite character. Though... she did serve more of a purpose in the 2016 "revival" than she did in her few episodes of season 8, and the entire season 9. She was just obnoxious and Doggett's sidekick in those seasons. Without Doggett there, Reyes became more interesting. But I also had wanted her to be on the "bad" side way back then so... I do hope that since she betrayed the CSM that she gets killed off. We don't need to be wasting any screen time on her character, we've seen enough.

I want a Skinner-centric episode.

I would love it if they could bring back Krycek too, but I would also bitch about it because that would be stupid.

I would love to see Kersh again. I loved that guy.

Or even Brad Follmer (I loved that guy too), but my head-canon has him living elsewhere under a different name because he's in witness protection.

I do NOT want to see anyone hallucinate the Gunmen again, that was so lame, and done just for nostalgia. Fuck nostalgia, progress your damn series, Carter!

I want Scully to have less of a role in this 2018 thing too. She was awful to watch in 2016. Gillian cannot "find" Scully, and I don't feel (in those six episodes) that she even wanted to try to "find" Scully. Instead she created a hybrid of her characters from "Hannibal" and "The Fall" and tried to pass her off as Scully. That failed. With that UFO light beam cliffhanger, I seriously hoped that they killed her. I'm over Scully.

I know this is all very negative, but I've never held back how I feel about anything. But I also want to acknowledge, as a fan of TXF, that I want more than half of these new episodes to be enjoyable. I hope that GA can "find" Scully and not make her a hoarse-cigarette-chain-smoking-depressive woman. I hate when Gillian has to play sad, or depressed, or unhappy, or weepy... GA is a good actress in most roles, but those emotions, IMO, she cannot pull them off, at least not as Scully. I hope DD nails his portrayal of Mulder again. I want this most of all. I want a lot of Mulder. Lots and lots of Mulder. I want to believe that the next (and hopefully final) ten episodes of TXF will be better than what we've been force-fed since 2001/02, 2008, and in 2016. TXF used to be a really great series, then it just deteriorated, almost to the point of being unrecognizable.
Cassie

FRVS 'Ship : Doggett/Scully
FRVS Character : John Doggett

http://www.doggettscully.com/cassiopeia/

Back to top Go down

Re: TXF S11 Chat Thread

Post by Dana Scully on Thu 18 May 2017 - 19:06

When they killed off Maggie Scully in season 10 and Only had the Boys as voices that was just really wrong they should have been there for their mother I wanted to kick some butt watching that one that was a fail sorry Chris Carter but it was and I was shocked that season 11 was a green light only 1-2 days after I got my hair cut for a Full Scully Cosplay on skype I want to see the boys Bill Scully Jr. and Charlie this time in the show.
Dana Scully

FRVS 'Ship : Mulder & Scully
FRVS Character : Dana Scully

https://scullysstories.wordpress.com/mulder-legacy/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassie on Thu 18 May 2017 - 20:47

I know! Some of my favorite characters on TXF series are the recurring/guest starring characters. When I found out they were doing an episode about Scully's mother dying, I completely expected Bill and Charles to be there. The words "disappointment" and "major let down" don't even begin to describe how I felt about them getting voice overs only.

I know we've never met Charles on TXF series, but I've used him in fanfic, and he is one of my favorite characters. Of course, if TXF casted any actor who wasn't Max Martini to play him, I would also be disappointed because I've had over a decade of Max-Martini-Is-The-Actor-Who-Should-Play-Charles-Scully stuck in my head. I'm not sure I could accept anyone else at this point LOL

I have no idea what CC is going to do with this 2018 event series/s11, but I'm... as a fan of this series who wants to see justice done to it (after the crap that has happened to it since season 9, arguably since season 7 though), I'm not convinced allowing Carter to write/direct or even come up with ideas (at this point!) is a good idea. Look at what he did with IWTB, and with the 2016 "revival." Do you see a pattern emerging here? Yeah, it's not good.

Now I love Morgan & Wong, and Darin - and their episodes of the 2016 event series are the only ones I would care to rewatch (the other three were crap, IMO), but even their event series episodes (except for Darin's episode) didn't feel exactly right. IDK, maybe it was the way Gillian performed as Scully, I didn't see anything remotely "Scully" in her performances in any of those six episodes, and that really, really bothered me. I hope she can do better this next (and hopefully final) time around.

I know I sound very negative, and bitter about TXF right now, but I promise you it is because I like TXF series, and I want the best for it, and IMO what we've been force-fed is not the best TXF could offer.

Anyway... what things do y'all hope to see, or hope get concluded in this next round of XF resuscitations?
Cassie

FRVS 'Ship : Doggett/Scully
FRVS Character : John Doggett

http://www.doggettscully.com/cassiopeia/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top