A Writer's S11 Journal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Writer's S11 Journal

Post by Cassie on Wed 17 May 2017 - 20:31

I just want to have a place to come to when writing FRVS episodes has stumped me, and I need to just ramble on about the process, and the frustrations of the process, so I thought I'd start this thread.

I have been plotting out, discarding ideas, and organizing season 11 of FRVS since April/May 2016! That's over a year now! But the thing is, though organizing where episodes go, and working on how they link together does take a lot of time (and re-working), coming up with the ideas for season 11 was easy peasy! Almost every single one of the episodes in our upcoming season has been "in the works" for well over a decade now.

Why weren't these ideas used in the first ten seasons of FRVS? Because we decided to deal with the alien mythology (which we felt wasn't concluded well enough, if at all, on the original XF tv series).

My writing process begins with a pen and paper. I have always felt more connected to my episodes/characters when I write by hand first. I rarely "feel" them properly if I type an episode in its first draft. Once I get to the typing my handwritten episodes, I go through so many revisions. Then after I've typed my story, I have to transfer it to HTML, which garners yet another re-read/revision. This is my favorite part of getting it all digitized because I know once I get it into HTML that it is more-or-less finished.

But this upcoming 11th season is a bit different. You see, I'm writing the majority of the episodes on my own. Kristi only has a handful to take care of. So while I am approaching this season with the intention to not fall behind episode due date schedule, I cannot say the same for Kristi. I have episodes that I have to rely on her episodes in order to completely finalize. While I have typed them and put them in HTML format, I know that when her episodes are written that I will have to go back and do more revisions (we're really aiming for some good continuity). It's a weird approach because I've never entered into writing a FRVS season with my writing partner (in crime) so procrastinate-y, you know? It leaves me feeling a bit unsettled, and hoping that eventually she will get her episodes done in good time so my episode revisions aren't rushed.

Anyway.

It's been almost eight years since FRVS first ended. So logically the decision was made to make a time cut in season 11 as well. Season 11 will not start off in 2012, but rather seven or eight years later... sort of <--- tune in to www.foxandrat-xfiles.com on Saturday, 2 September 2017 to find out what the "sort of" is all about.

I'll be back another time with more insight to the FRVS process!

C
Cassie

FRVS 'Ship : Doggett/Scully
FRVS Character : John Doggett

http://www.doggettscully.com/cassiopeia/

Back to top Go down

Re: A Writer's S11 Journal

Post by Cassie on Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 13:37

Insomnia has been draining me creatively lately. I haven't worked on writing any FRVS episodes in over a week. I've done a few outlines, and worked on some ideas, but I haven't had the energy to actually write. This is especially panic-worthy because we are about three months now until the season 11 premiere! And being almost the only writer working on these new episodes, that's very stressful.

This weekend the plan is to hunker down and write at least two episodes. That will get the new season back on track (I hope).

I've been wanting to read some fanfic lately too, but my rule of thumb while writing FRVS episodes (or writing my own non-FRVS fanfic) is to not read any fanfic so that I'm not influenced by anything other than the stories I have stuck in my head.

I'm also working on redesigning/re-organizing the FRVS official website for the season 11 premiere. I hope that it will be ready by 2 September.

So much to do, and only three months left to do it all!

C
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassie on Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 14:16

Last night I wrote a new episode of FRVS for season 11 that creeped me out. I ended it, and though I had written the entire story, I felt shocked, disturbed, slightly violated, and just at complete unease.

I know I need to go through and do another draft on this one, simply because I think I can tame it down. But then I wonder if taming it down would diminish the impact of creepy/scary.

I meant for this episode to be sorta-kinda lighthearted for a little bit, but I wound up writing something much darker than I intended.

I'm going to have to run it by Kristi, see if she thinks it should stay as is, or undergo some major rewrites. <--- but by the time she gets to reading what I have, I'll have forgotten what I've written and it'll be harder to rewrite (she's so slow at reading episodes that I finish so that I can get feedback on them in good time).

The episode's tentative title is "My 'Shippy Fic" and it wound up feeling more like MSR meets Misery...

For sure, it will be a controversial FRVS episode for hardcore, narrow-minded, Leyla Harrison defending XF MSR 'shippers <--- of the actual XF series (but I always intended that).

I think it went way dark because earlier in the day I had been told not to express my opinions on Twitter, a fan asking me to censor myself in my comments. I do not believe in censorship, and I have always felt comfortable speaking my mind (controversial of not). I'm thinking I took a bit of my eye rolling bitterness about that to my story. LOL I don't know... maybe it works. I have yet to re-read it because I'm a bit hesitant to want to re-read it right now.
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassie on Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 11:53

I'm at the point now where I have about six episodes left to write (on my own) for FRVS Season 11, and I'm wondering "what is the point?" and "will anyone actually read season 11? because it's hard enough getting my FRVS partner-in-crime to read what I've written." I wound up writing K's part of 11x07 a couple weekends ago (took about 8 hours to do since I had to re-read what I had already written since I forgot most of it since I've been focused on episodes that come after it). I'm feeling really disenchanted right now about writing, the episodes I have left to do, only about half are going to be a bit difficult to work out without consulting anyone about them.

I'm worried that the VERY IMPORTANT early season 2-part episodes aren't going to get written, and it is effing ESSENTIAL that they are written soon (because I need to know what happens in them in order to write the episodes I have left), but they're not my episodes, they're K's. And she's telling me lately that she might not get them done this year. Well... that probably means I'll have to write them too since they air in November 2017.

Like... is all the work I'm putting into these new episodes worth it? Will I even get any feedback? (doubtful) It's really hard to write when you know no one is reading.

I've dedicated myself to season 11, K's doing the 3rd FRVS movie (I hope, because I surely cannot do it, it's her idea), and there will be a season 12 that I will write all episodes (except for 1 ep, which K has already finished and since she won't do any rewriting, I have to work with what she's written).

I'm not feeling my muse right now. I started a really hard (for me) episode last week, and the characters aren't speaking to me. I'm feeling disgruntled, and I can't reach out to other writers because no one knows FRVS like K and I know FRVS, and to write for season 11 and 12 of FRVS, one has to know these characters like the back of their hand.

Hopefully I'll find a way to deal with how I feel right now. I need to go back to that "I don't give a shit if no one is reading FRVS" attitude, but at least when I last had that K was actually reading my episodes and providing feedback. Now she just rolls her eyes at me and wants to play online games.
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top